1. Have you ever lost someone you love and wanted one more conversation, one more chance to make up for the time when you thought they would be here forever? If so, then you know you can go your whole life collecting days, and none will outweigh the one you wish you had back. What if you got it back?
2. The truth is, there is no line. There's only your life, how you mess it up, and who is there to save you. Or who isn't.
3. “I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to say good-bye, Dad".
4. Mothers support certain illusions about their children, and one of my illusions was that I liked who I was, because she did. When she passed away, so did that idea. The truth is, I didn't like who I was at all.
5. When you're rotten about yourself, you become rotten to everyone else, even those you love.
6. That's the thing when your parents die, you feel like instead of going into every fight with backup, you are going into every fight alone.
7. All that happens when your dream comes true is a slow, melting realization that it wasn't what you thought. And it won't save you.
8. "So, " she said, moving away, "now you know how badly someone wanted you, Charley. Children forget that sometimes. They think of themselves as a burden instead of a wish granted".
9. I would go with my mother wherever she wanted to go until whatever I had done caught up with me. To be honest, not all of me wanted it to end. When a lost loved one appears before you, it's your brain that fights it, not your heart.
10. "It's nice that you spend a day with your mother," she said. "Children should do it more often.
11. "A child embarrassed by his mother," she said, "is just a child who hasn't lived long enough".
12. Going back to something is harder than you think.
13. "But... " I stumbled for words. "You couldn't do the work that mattered to you". My mother looked at me with a glint of defiance. "I did what mattered to me, " she said. "I was a mother".
14. When someone is in your heart, they're never truly gone. They can come back to you, even at unlikely times.
15. I saw in her expression that old, unshakable mountain of concern. And I realized when you look at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.
16. "You have one family, Charley. For good or bad. You have one family. You can't trade them in. You can't lie to them. You can't run two at once, substituting back and forth. Sticking with your family is what makes it a family." She sighed.
17. I could still hear his words, forcing my decision: mama's boy or daddy's boy, Chick? What's it gonna be? "I made the wrong choice," I whispered. My mother shook her head. "A child should never have to choose".
18. I feel ashamed now that I tried to take my life. It is such a precious thing. I had no one to talk me out of my despair, and that was a mistake. You need to keep people close. You need to give them access to your heart.
19. There's a story behind everything. How a picture got on a wall. How a scar got on your face. Sometimes the stories are simple, and sometimes they are hard and heartbreaking. But behind all your stories is always your mother's story, because hers is where yours begins.
20. "Remember me for these days, not the old ones".
21. One day spent with someone you love can change everything.

No comments:
Post a Comment